Thursday, July 3, 2008

An Itinerary to Mumbai - Part 1

/* Flash back: The day before the visit I got the to and fro tickets to Bombay and got the Travel guys to book a cab for early morning pickup and late night drop. I was pretty much lucky yesterday as the flights were right on time and the skies were clear in Bombay.*/

The excitement was high and it didn’t permit me to have sleep. I woke up thrice even before the alarm that was set at 4:30 am went off (this happens every time when I am about to do something new or explore new frontiers). Had a quick bath and answered all calls :P and got ready by 5 am. Had a suku caapi, which translates to ginger tea and it’s used to wade of sleep, and started browsing to get some details on Czech and used google maps to look at the landmarks surrounding the Consulate in Bombay. I left home at exactly 6 in the morning and reached BIAL at 6:45. Once inside the airport there was a formal security check, during which the cops were checking for hazardous materials and weapons of mass destruction :P. Luckily for me I was travelling light, I just carried a file and a wallet in my bag. The cops declared that I was clean and can board the flight.

The flight was at 8:30 and it was not yet 7:00, so I broke fast in the airport and had a plate of Upma and lassi to fill my stomach, but bill tore through my pocket. The breakfast turned out to cost 150 bucks. Now I just had to wait for the Gate 11 to open as that was the gate that leads to the Indian Airline Airbus 320 - IC106 plane. In the meantime I enjoyed the WIFI connectivity over there and checked how various websites are rendered on my cell. I Downloaded opera browser and checked out GMAIL, Facebook, Orkut and XM application :D.

Later the clocked ticked at 8:30 and the gate was thrown open for us. And I sadly turned off wifi and happily moved towards the gate where a grand Volvo was waiting to ferry us till the plane. In the plane there were lots of aunties wearing traditional saree in the plane posing a beautiful smile and welcoming us. My seat number was 12f and was next to a window from where I got a beautiful view of the Silver lined clouds and tiny little cities from my seat during the flight.

This being my first flight, I was initially weary about how the plane actually manages to make so many sorties without a hitch. However overcame the negative thoughts and enjoyed every minute in the flight thoroughly. The plane as such was empty probably because the Kingfisher pulled many customers towards there side ;). During the flight they demonstrated how to use the seat belts and air masks and safety jacket. Probably I was the only guy who was paying attention to them while others were busy reading newspaper that had the news that Bombay is flooded on the home page. Later at 9 they gave us breakfast, I was anyways hungry so I grabbed my plate eagerly. However, it only had regular idly and stuff so just returned it laterL. As we were proceeding toward Mumbai the pilot announced that the weather in Mumbai is better and the temperature was 29 degree celcius. The brought a smile on my face as I had forgotten to take my Umbrella and RainCoat. He also spoke about turbulence that the plane may come across and that made me wonder what turbulence can do to such a big plane. And Just as that thought crossed my mind the plane started vibrating violently, so I silently said sorry to the turbulence outside for underestimating its power.

Now was the time when the last leg of a successful flight comes into picture. I got a Birdseye view of the good old financial capital of India Mumbai the city of underworld Bhaees and beautiful Marathi speaking Bais. The city as such didn’t look beautiful from the sky. I Could easily figure out the famous slums which were covered by blue covers to preven rain water from entering the already damp house. So we had a touchdown which was rough according to me. However the touchdown as well declared smooth by the pilot, but I am still wondering how can a plane that comes to a halt vibrating like bullock cart be called a smooth landing. Anyways if the pilot says so I am ready to buy his statement.

To be continued later ….

No comments:

Post a Comment